monsterrblood

Holly's Book Reviews

I am 17 years old with a passion for reading and teaching!

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

The Winner's Curse (Winner's Trilogy, #1) - Marie Rutkoski

GOODREADS BLURB:

"As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions.

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin.

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined."

REVIEW:

When I first picked this up, I had some trouble getting into it. This book was moderately paced with a well built world. The character development was definitely there, but fell a little flat to me.

KESTREL:

I felt that this story gave me a better insight into politics and how to format your ideas. For example, the way Kestrel could talk her way into or out of almost anything. I loved her sharp tongue and how she refused to be anyone but herself... even when that caused trouble for her. I love the realistic aspect that no, not all female characters (even those who are the general's daughter) have the natural ability to pick up on how to fight. She had skills elsewhere and I loved that we were able to see that.

ARIN:

From the moment he freely asked to walk around town, I was suspicious of him. Slaves in this book tend to fear their owners and are not to speak out of turn. I felt that his actions were just and that he made up half of this book. While he does have a lot of disdain towards the Valorians, I would have been angry if he didn't. Who do they think they are taking over land and enslaving those who helped them to better their society to begin with? He is a strong character and acts with thought. I believe he would truly do anything if it meant helping to bring power (or at least equity) back to his people.

This book is one I HIGHLY recommend, but be warned that it is politic heavy in every good way.

and can we please talk about this cover?! This cover is one of those that actually gives you an idea of what the story will be about. Needles. That's all I have to say. Needles.