monsterrblood

Holly's Book Reviews

I am 17 years old with a passion for reading and teaching!

Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover

Maybe Someday - Colleen Hoover

GOODREADS BLURB:

"At twenty-two years old, Sydney has a great life: She's in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her best friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers Hunter's cheating on her--and she is left trying to decide what to do next.

Sydney becomes captivated by Ridge, her mysterious neighbor. She can't take her eyes off him or stop listening to the passionate way he plays his guitar every evening out on his balcony. And there's something about Sydney that Ridge can't ignore, either. When their inevitable encounter happens, they soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one..."

REVIEW:

Before going into Maybe Someday I heard from many different people that I would cry, giggle, and be completely heartbroken before it was put back together. Ironically, that didn't happen to me, but to our main characters.

One thing I enjoyed about this book was that there was no insta-love. It was slow forming, as it is in real life. We often start to form bonds with people over mutual likes, and for this book that happened to be music. Only one thing stopped me from giving this book 5 stars, but I will get into that shortly.

<Also if you didn't know, the author got together with Griffin Peterson to write out the songs in this book. I'll leave the link here : http://www.maybesomedaysoundtrack.com>

RIDGE:

When we first meet him, it's an odd encounter. How often can you say that someone who is practically a stranger needs to crash on your couch? I was creeped out at first, especially because apparently they had been texting for the last two weeks but had never ACTUALLY met. I was totally confused on this. So glad the author did a recap in 70 pages or so. From the moment we meet him, he's an attractive fella whose life is put together. He's kind,caring,and would go to the end of the earth if that meant giving someone a fair chance at a life they can't fully live. *Tears up*

His character wasn't completely perfect (as you usually see in romance books) and that made me enjoy this book even more. Ridge makes mistakes just like everyone else and he can hate his life just as much. When he gets into a bad position, he puts the blame where it rightfully goes and not on anyone else.

SYDNEY:

I immediately felt sorry for Syd in the prologue. I was excited to see all the drama unfold when the author started recapping the last two weeks events and was SO not disappointed in the way she fought for herself and never let anyone control her life.

I was awestruck at how she didn't cop-out and let her father win in the matter of her choosing her career in life. So many people would give up their dreams if that meant not having to worry about the stress of paying their way there. Not Sydney. She's shy, strong, and determined. I liked how she and RIdge fit together so well and how their personalities seemed to mash like two pieces of a heart. (See what I did there?)The only thing that annoyed me about her is how much she bawled her eyes out. Pretty much everyday.

MAGGIE:

I feel that her character didn't stand out enough until the end. She was described as an independent, kick-ass woman who wouldn't let anyone stand in the way of her doing what she needs to do in her life, and I feel that would stand out more if we had a book for her or even a novella.

Reading this, I felt proud of her for not letting ANYTHING stop her. The end conversations (the one ending on page 296, you get me) made my heart hurt and yet pump steadier. If this girl can make decisions like this and deal with the worries/stress in her life, I can too.

DISLIKES:

Ridge is 24 and Sydney is 22 yet they were immature about this entire thing. Ridge is a heartbreaker and I felt that sometimes he truly didn't care about either girl he claimed to have 'real' feelings for.